Senator Kemp Hannon
6th District New York
Introduction to Salisbury

Historians say the name Salisbury originated from English colonists  because the area resembled the Salisbury Plains in England, which  were named after the English Earl of Salisbury. 
The Salisbury area encompasses the northwest corner of East Meadow. The heart of residential Salisbury lies in the triangle formed by Carman Ave.,  Salisbury Drive, and Stewart Ave. 

This area, south of Old Country Road, owes much of its history to the  Ladenburg family, who turned the area into the Meadow Brook Park Colony. The Colony consisted of large estates and soon became a center for horse breeding and showing. The Ladenburg estate was later sub-divided and developed by various builders. 

The area known as Salisbury is largely a product of the post-World  War II building boom  in Nassau County, during the late 1940’s and  very early 1950’s. While many know William Levitt was responsible  for the development of Levittown, few realize he was also the primary  developer of   Salisbury. Approximately 40% of residential Salisbury  is comprised of Levitt homes. As Levitt and his sons began to develop  the area into one of America’s first suburbs, the area of the former  Ladenburg estate became the heart of Salisbury. 

Generations of residents have also referred to this area as Bowling Green.  As the area developed, and schools were built, the names Salisbury and  Bowling Green were given to two of the schools  serving  the northwestern part of East Meadow, known today as Salisbury.

Related Articles
District Office
595 Stewart Avenue, Suite 540
Garden City, NY 11530
516.739.1700
Albany Office
420 State Capitol Bldg.
Albany, NY 12247
518.455.2200