10 Things You Can Do To Prevent Stormwater Runoff Pollution
Following Saturday’s downpour, Senator Kemp Hannon is joining with the United States Environmental Protection Agency to provide you with some simple tips to reduce stormwater runoff pollution.
1. Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks and roads
2. Never dump anything down storm drains
3. Vegetate bare spots in your yard
4. Compost your yard waste
5. Avoid pesticides; learn about Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
6. Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces
7. Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway
8. Check for leaks, and recycle motor oil
9. Pick up after your pet
10. Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly
For more information, visit www.epa.gov/npdes/stormwater.